for every one reporter like me, or like far more knowledgeable critics like Tyler Durden,
- there are a thousand hacks out there willing to pimp Goldman’s viewpoint on things in the front pages
- and ledes of the major news organizations.
(how many political reporters with no experience reporting on financial issues have swallowed whole the news cliche about Goldman being the “smart guys” on Wall Street? A lot, for sure).
- Goldman has its alumni pushing its views
- the NYSE,
- the World Bank,
and numerous other important posts; it also has former players
- fronting major TV shows.
- They have the ear of the president if they want it.
Given all of this, I personally think it’s absurd to talk about the need for “balance” in every single magazine and news article.
- I understand that some people feel differently, but that’s my take on things." 6/30/09, "On Giving Goldman a Chance," by Matt Taibbi, Rolling Stone